Thursday, October 1, 2009

University Scholars

When I first heard about University Scholars, I thought it sounded like another program that would benefit me academically. My first impression has definitely proved to be true! The Scholars program requires you to take honors courses and attend lectures on a variety of different subjects. I was very excited to Scholars would provide me with the opportunity learn about topics of business, engineering, and the arts, as I am a Biological Sciences major and do not have much exposure to these topics otherwise. University Scholars has also made me a more informed person; because of the program, I now make reading the news part of my daily routine. What is more, the community and trips the program has provided me with have ended up being one my favorite things about my freshman year here at North Carolina State University. Because scholars offered free transportation and tickets, I was able to see professional productions in Raleigh, Chapel Hill, and Durham. I even participated in a weekend trip to Virginia to see a Shakespeare play. I was so impressed with how the program helped to broaden my perspectives.

Although all these experiences were amazing, my very favorite activity was the Fall Break Backpacking trip. University Scholars offers a few trips each semester with the Outdoor Leadership Series. Having never backpacked before, I thought it would be a great opportunity to try something different and meet new people. This four-day excursion ended up being one the best outdoor trips I have ever been on because of great friends, leadership building, and the beautiful scenery. It was a great break from being on campus, and I learned much about myself and about surviving outdoors.

University Scholars has been a fantastic program for me and I highly recommend it to anyone who interested in learning about the world and what it has to offer. So if you have ever wanted to learn a native African dance, or travel downtown to see an original play, scholars might just be the program for you!