Monday, November 2, 2009

Academic Trips

Hola! My name is Dustin Hart and I am a sophomore in Poultry Science. This week, I thought it would be fun to talk about school trips! Who doesn't love going somewhere instead of sitting inside of a classroom?

I recently took a class trip to visit Asheboro Zoological Park. My Avian Physiology class has been learning about avian behavior, so for our weekly lab, we took an all-day field trip to put our newly-learned skills into practice. At the zoo, my group decided to watch Chilean Flamingoes! We spent about two hours taking notes and utilizing the skills we had learned in the classroom as we watched our subjects. For the remainder of the day, we walked around looking at the rest of the animals at the zoo.

Needless to say, this was one of my favorite labs! We didn't just learn about how to study avian behavior, but we actually put it to use. Later we created an ethogram (a way to list avian behavior) as if we were actual researchers studying the Chilean Flamingo. We also created a 5-7 minute class presentation discussing our findings from the zoo.

Where else would you be able to get this kind of hands-on experience if not in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at NCSU?