Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Alternative Spring Break

This past spring break I had the opportunity to work for Habitat for Humanity in the Dominican Republic. This was an opportunity that all students have and is coordinated by NC state's Center for Student Leadership Ethics and Public Service (CSLEPS) office. The trip was an awesome experience that I shared with 15 other NC State students. We helped build houses, volunteered at a local school, and experience a new culture through it's people. Most people on the trip had never traveled abroad but the program meetings start months before the trip and helps students prepare for the trip. They also have fundraisers and scholarships so that anyone can go regardless of finances. This a great experience that I recommend to everyone, especially students who don't want to study abroad for an entire semester but want traveling abroad experiences.
Posted by: Julie Stainback

For Spring Break my Junior year, I had the opportunity to travel to Guatemala for Alternative Spring Break. The focus of our trip was health care advocacy. We took with us twenty suitcases full of medical supplies which we delivered to a small village clinic in the Peten region of Guatemala. While in the same area, we had the chance to go on a jungle walk with a local herbal medicine woman who explained how they used plants, herbs, and seeds for healing. We also visited the ancient Mayan Ruins of Tikal. The latter part of our trip was spent in Antigua where we volunteered at a local hospital working with handicapped children and adults. We also spent many evenings experiencing the various other cultural aspects of the country. This experience has been one of the most rewarding things I have done in college. It was my first time out of the country and my first taste of Latin American culture. I highly recommend the Alternative Spring Break program to everyone because it was truly life changing for me.
Posted by: Catherine Casey