Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Coming from a Small Town

I come from a very rural hometown in central NC with only a few thousand people. I was very worried that NC State was going to be completely overwhelming and too large to actually know anyone or for the faculty to know me.
After the first week of classes, I had at least one professor in the Animal Science department know my name. It was not what I had expected and it just kept getting better. I soon found out that there were over 30,000 students on campus, but it wasn’t as large and easy to get lost in as I had originally thought. I began to meet people whom I had multiple classes with. It felt like a little piece of home in a large research institution. It was great to realize that everyone can find a niche on campus and have a home away from home!
Posted by: Holly Ramey

Leaving a small town and coming to NC State can be very daunting. I was worried that I would never be able to find my way around such a large campus, not to mention a large city such as Raleigh. Fortunately, everyone here at NC State was very helpful. Upperclassmen and faculty are more than willing to help you figure out where your classes are, what room they are located in, and how best to get from your dorm to class. Entering a university where there are 32,000 students can feel like you’ll get lost in the crowds. However, CALS truly has a small school feel. You’ll find that you share a lot of the same classes as other CALS students, especially in your first two years as you complete your general education requirements. As you get to know these students, you’ll begin to form your own little “home” on campus you feel comfortable in.
Posted by: Lauren Hysong