Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Greek Life

On NC State's campus you will find different types of Greek Life. The most common is the social sororities and fraternities. There are four different councils with a social sorority or fraternity for every individual. Each council has their own type of rush to gain new members. To find out more information about the different councils and rush please check out the Greek Life webpage: www.ncsu.edu/greek_life

Right now our Greek Court is undergoing construction to make a new Greek Village. This new village will be similar in design to USC Columbia's Greek houses. The houses in the Greek Village are considered on campus housing and have access to the Wolfline, NC State's bus.

I have enjoyed my years in Alpha Delta Pi sorority because I have been able to participate in philanthropy events and gain leadership experience. My sisters have become my second family and I hope to continue with my sorority's opportunities after graduation!
Posted by: Beth Migliaccio

I became a member of Greek Life my first semester at NC State when I went through Formal Recruitment and joined Delta Zeta sorority. Greek Life is a wonderful way for students to get involved early on campus! There are four councils which are all a part of Greek Life; the Panhellenic Association, the Interfraternity Council, the National Pan-Hellenic Association, and the Collaborative Greek Council. For information on each council, visit the Greek Life website: http://www.ncsu.edu/greeklife/index.html. The four main pillars of Greek Life are brotherhood & sisterhood, service, leadership, and scholarship. Each organization truly encompasses each of these. By joining Greek life, you are given the chance to establish lasting friendships, as well as enhance your personal development through various outlets. Each individual organization has its own unique social events, rituals, traditions, and service and leadership opportunities. However, together Greek Life is just a group of students who all share common goals and interests.

My four years as a sister in Delta Zeta have definitely been amazing! Service events I have been a part of include, but are not limited to: Relay For Life, Service Raleigh, Service NC State, the Soup Kitchen, the NC Food Bank, volunteering at schools, Hoops for Hope, etc. Also, Delta Zeta, as well as all other organizations, has a national philanthropy in which we raise money for year round. Delta Zeta raises money for the hearing and speech impaired by hosting an annual male pageant called “Big Man On Campus”. Contestants wear an outfit that describes their personality, are interviewed on stage, and have to perform some sort of talent. The talents range from singing, doing an interpretive dance, or even trying to break the world record of chicken nugget eating! Because all organizations have service events like this throughout the year, it is easy to stay involved with each other’s philanthropic events. For leadership in my sorority I have held five chairman positions, including Alumnae Relations and Judicial Board President. Sisterhood is one of my favorite aspects of being in a sorority. I have met the most amazing women by being a part of Delta Zeta and have established the best friendships. Without being a member of Delta Zeta, and meeting the women I have, I would not be the person I am today. My sisters have always been there for me, and helped with my own personal growth and development. Finally, academics definitely remains an integral part of being in a Greek organization. Because all the organizations range in size, more than likely you will find people that are Greek in your classes, perhaps even friends from the same organization. For me, this was always helpful because you can automatically form those bonds and establish study groups. Since we are all students first, it’s easy to see that being successful in our classes is really important to ourselves as individuals and to Greek Life as a whole.
Posted by: Catherine Casey